Forum home Problem solving

Potted Christmas tree

hello all our Christmas tree has done 2 Christmas’s left in a pot I think it could have died but there are fresh buds coming on it, so do you think it is worth taking it out of pot and planting thanks.

• Anyone able to help
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    If you want to use it indoors next Xmas then re-pot into a bigger pot with some fresh compost, John Innes no3. And water more than has been done so far. Otherwise yes plant out in the garden but be aware of how big it will grow (height and width) when choosing your spot for it.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,307
    They rarely make garden worthy plants is the reality of it. They get too big for a domestic garden and tend to become unsightly. If you have a large garden worth experimenting but there are so many more suitable conifers to add to a garden than a repurposed commercial spruce. By all means you can keep it going in a larger pot with some fresh John Innes No3 compost and some root pruning if required, but I'd leave it there. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • Thanks for the reply George it was bought as a miniature probably about 3ft now, not too bothered about using it for Christmas again just thought if it wasn’t dead I’d plant it in garden
  • Thanks also steep hill