Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildflowers of the Day

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
What is growing near you? Here are a few snapped on my daily dog walk today, rubbish phone camera so apologies if they are a bit fuzzy!

Buttercup Anemone:

Aquilegia Alpina:

Euphorbia Polychroma:

Ajuga Reptens:

Helianthemum:

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    A few more from today, love the the very delicate colouring on the Anemone and the buds of the Cistus are as attractive as the flowers:

Plus a couple of Euphorbias (lots around here). I don’t know the name of the first one:

• Ante1Ante1 Senj, CroatiaPosts: 2,575
    Hi Nollie. I also love wildflowers, and I have a lots of them near my land. At the moment all meadows are covered with cowslips.

Lovely cheery flowers, the cowslips @Ante30, thanks for posting your pic. We have them too but they are largely over now.
    Today’s daily dog walk offerings...

A low growing flower on a shady bank - if anyone has any ideas what it is, please let me know:

Growing on the side of the road:

Growing in a huge swathe by the side of the river (and pic of said river)

• HippophaeHippophae Posts: 154
    edited April 2020
    @Nollie I think your mystery blue/purple and white flowered plant is a Dracocephalum.

Love your photo of the common sainfoin!
    Thanks @Hippophae, definitely one to investigate, it does look very like that. I must get some better shots of the leaves, which are sparse, long, narrow, clinging vertically to the stems from what I recall!

A few today, the first in the woods, the others on a roadside bank:

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    edited April 2020
    Would I be right in thinking this is what we used to call 'ragged robin'?
    It came from some wildflower seeds I cast in that area. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    After googling it seems it is but says its a bog plant. Where I grew up it was certainly not bog but then it was a lot smaller. I wonder what it attracts.. Will be watching it to see. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,872
    Definitely Ragged Robin, @Bijdezee.  It likes wet soil and sun, but grew happily in my Yorkshire garden in ordinary soil which didn't dry out.

@Nollie - I think you may have a Hepatica, not Anemone robinsoniana.  I can see a 3-lobed leaf between the flowers... beautiful, anyway!

My contribution is growing in the grass in the back garden, untended for the 17 years the previous owners lived here, which makes it "wild", I think.  I reckon it's not the true Oxlip (though I could be wrong), but a natural hybrid of primrose and cowslip known in Ireland as the False Oxlip.  When it first appeared I assumed it was a cowslip...

...but now it looks much more robust.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore