Forum home Problem solving

Mulch advice...

Dear Gardening Colleagues,

I’d be grateful if someone could advise me on a cost effective biodegradable mulch product and where to purchase it.

I’ve repaired a steep embankment and have been advised to purchase some mulch to control the weeds and hold the soil whilst the new plants are establishing. If you refer to the underneath picture you can see it's a large embankment of 157 square metres. 

My name concern is heavy rainfall in autumn and winter periods in the next coming twelve months. So the Mulch must have at least a twelve months biodegradable lifecycle (the longer the life span the better).

Any advise would be really appreciated.

Warm regards,

Ian

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,940
    Hi @ian 49 - that section around the tree will be more tricky to mulch, purely because it'll tend to slide. 
    However, I'd go for a small chipped bark. If you thoroughly soak the area first, and after applying the mulch, that will help. Any new plants will need copious watering anyway, until established, even if they're plants specifically suitable for dry shade.

Because of the shade from the tree, hopefully the weeds will be less inclined to grow too, but often - they grow better than the plants we want to cultivate!
    I assume the area to the front of the wall is just going to be grass?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,109
    I’ve seen the sort of coir netting shown here work very well on a slope like that 
    https://www.ecomerchant.co.uk/in-ground/landscaping/biodegradable-mats-and-nets.html
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ian 49ian 49 Posts: 10
    Hi Fairygirl, thank you for your advice. And, yes the area in front of the wall will be grassed over. Any ideas of where to purchase cheap biodegradable Mulch form? 

Warm regards,

Ian
  • ian 49ian 49 Posts: 10
    Hi Dovefromabove, thank you for your advice. I'll check out Coir netting suggestion. 

Best regards,

Ian
    I think it may be tricky just now @ian 49, but some landscaping companies might still be operating. You'd probably just have to do a search online for your area.

Perhaps the type of company @Dovefromabove is suggesting will stock it though. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    I'd get it planted ASAP . Until we can get out and about, even annual seeds will help stablise the soil.
    Devon.
    Yes - if you already have the plants, get them in.
    Cotoneaster would help there. Common as muck, but very useful, and plenty will grow in and around it too.