Forum home Problem solving

Prunus flowering cherry

Hello all, 

I recently brought a flowering cherry, I planted it where I thought it would be well suited to, when I got it it was in full blossom, in the last two weeks all of the blossom has died off, but still no leaves have appeared, is this common there seems to be small buds on I will attach a photo, do you feel its dieing, wrong postion or normal

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    If you haven't had a frost in your area to damage the blossom you should contact the supplier. Prunus do not always overwinter well when potted up ready for sale and may start into growth and then show signs of failure.. The supplier should be able to help you.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • It was outside when I purchased it, we have had a frost but it wasn't a heavy frost, where its positioned the soil is relitivly moist so was not watering it a great deal, any ideas what I can do to help it or is it lost? 
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Go back to the supplier. Being outside is normal for sales or trees, but I know failures can happen. You would not know there was a possible problem with the tree at time of purchase. ( I have good experience in dealing with such a problem)
    Hopefully you bought it from a good Garden Centre with experienced staff, and not from outside a Supermarket.
    Good luck.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)