Forum home Plants

Cucamelon

Julia1983Julia1983 Posts: 139
Has anyone ever grown these?  I've got two seedlings in pots at the moment but I heard someone on GQT say that they were horrible tasting  :D which has put me off because I was really looking forward to them!  Has anyone grown and enjoyed them?  

• NollieNollie Posts: 7,512
    edited April 2020
    I have grown them and not enjoyed them! Like fat, hard little bullets and just not that great tasting. But horses for courses, we can’t all have the same tastes, so give them a go and see.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • They're definitely an acquired taste - I could appear to be facetious here but it really is a little like a cu that has that slightly necrotic scent of some melons. Let's just say we only grew them once ;)
  • Julia1983Julia1983 Posts: 139
     :D  its not looking good!  But yes  I will try them!  I will grow a normal cucumber aswell just in case......
  • Julia1983 said:
     ....I will grow a normal cucumber aswell just in case......
    I certainly wouldn't consider using them instead of a normal cu!  :s:smiley:
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,346
    I grow them as my kids love them - not as cucumber replacements but as snacks.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • edhelkaedhelka Posts: 2,350
    I tried them three years ago and got only one small (semi-pollinated) fruit from four plants. No pollinators were interested in them and all my attempts at hand pollination failed. But I liked the taste of the one we got. I wanted to try them again this year (different location) but the seeds haven't germinated (too old know, probably).
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    Tried them 2 years ago.  They look cute, but not enjoyable to eat in our opinion.  We even tried them in our G&T's.  They certainly looked quite quirky, but didn't add anything to the taste, a slice of real cucumber is much better in drinks.