Forum home Tools and techniques

Cold frames

Pta55Pta55 Oxfordshire Posts: 28
I Have a four tier plastic mini greenhouse can I use it as a cold frame particularly for hardening off. Pta1955

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,160
    That's how I use mine - I call it a vertical cold frame.  The advantage, of course, is its small footprint, but if there is a sudden late frost, it is worth popping a bit of fleece over anything a bit extra exposed (at the top, for example).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,220
    Just bear in mind - they're good for keeping rough wet, weather off, but they don't give the same protection as glass, and they heat up incredibly quickly, so make sure you open it up, even on cloudier days  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pta55Pta55 Oxfordshire Posts: 28
    Thank you, I will give it a go. I do have the plastic cover but would think it will be too hot as Fairy Girl said. Fleece seems a good compromise. Thank you. Pta1955
    Just thought, which is the best aspect for it to face. Pta55
    I wouldn't have it in full sun. 
    If it's warm, you can put the plants out  in the open, but again, sheltered from excessive heat and wind. Then put them back in at night until acclimatised.
    The length of time that takes, will depend on the type of plant, and their maturity.

Normally, a cold frame can be in a sunny, bright spot, but it depends how it's being used and when. 

Just want to use it to harden off annual flower plants and bean plants for this year. Will look at a proper cold frame later in the year. Pta55.

Just a sheltered  spot is fine then. Extremes of weather is all they'd need protected from for a while  :)

Keep it well opened up on warm days too.