Forum home Plants

Seedling ID please

Anna33Anna33 Posts: 316
So I left a seedhead on a pot over winter, partly through laziness and partly because it was a really nice looking seedhead, and to my surprise it's actually dropped some viable seeds, which have started sprouting! From the shape of the seedhead I would guess either one of the rudbeckias or an echinops, but I really can't remember which.

Does anyone recognise what either the seedling or the seedhead is please, so I know what's coming through?? Thank you!

• owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
    Doesn't look like Rudbeckia to me, so maybe the other 
    Just another day at the plant...
  • Anna33Anna33 Posts: 316
    Thanks - I agree about the rudbeckia, but then it doesn't look like typical echinops-shaped leaves, either (certainly at this early stage).

They could just be rogue seedlings of some kind of weed, but they seemed to come from the seedhead at least. Hmm...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,858
    Don’t know about the seedhead, but the seedling looks a bit like an abutilon (at best) or some other of the maple family ... sycamore maybe?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,305
    It looks a bit round for sycamore but I agree it looks like a tree seedling and probably some kind of maple
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Anna33Anna33 Posts: 316
    Thank you - I'll keep growing it, and might be back here later once it's a bit bigger. I'm normally hyper aware of sycamore seeds, having grown up in a garden where they were a nightmare, so hoping I'm not accidentally nurturing one. And I've never had any experience with abutilon, so it's unlikely, but would be awesome if that was what it is (quick Google...).