Forum home Plants

Greenhouse Heating

Is a constant overnight temperature of 50 Fahrenheit ok for young flowering plants destined for baskets?.......Thanks. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    Hi Jimmy - 50F min will be fine for most plants. I'm guessing they're half-hardy plants.
    Good luck with  them.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nick615nick615 Posts: 1,478
    Jimmy, plastic containers full of water, and painted matt black, will absorb warmth during the day and help to keep the temperature up during the night so, depending on the size and shape of your greenhouse, and making sure they don't obscure your plants, you can use this to your advantage?
  • Pete.8 said:
    Hi Jimmy - 50F min will be fine for most plants. I'm guessing they're half-hardy plants.
    Good luck with  them.
    Thanks Pete, I'm guessing they are half hardy as well, its your typical hanging basket plants, I'm trying to bring them on before transferring to baskets, I have a paraffin heater but it only takes the nigh time temperature to 50F max, my tomatoes etc I take inside each night..........thanks for taking the time Pete.    
  • nick615 said:
    Jimmy, plastic containers full of water, and painted matt black, will absorb warmth during the day and help to keep the temperature up during the night so, depending on the size and shape of your greenhouse, and making sure they don't obscure your plants, you can use this to your advantage?
    Its a 6x8 greenhouse Nick with a paraffin heater that's more suited to a smaller greenhouse, although it seems to be keeping the temperature at a steady 50 F.....the supplier of these young plants said I would need to take them in at night.....I recently purchased this heater to save me doing that, just wanted to make sure I was doing the correct thing.....Cheers Nick.