Forum home Problem solving

Ant problem in house

Hi guys!
Anyone got any tips for getting rid of ants inside kitchens? My parents have had a problem in theirs for a while now.obviously I cant go over and take a look,but I have last year cleaned all their cupboards and it's all very tidy.dad cleans the floor obsessively every day with floor wipes(he has dementia) and took all the skirting boards off to see where they were coming from but to no joy.theyre using Nippon I think it's called.they come downstairs to them almost every morning which you can imagine is awful but especially now.ive suggested calling pest control in the future but for now?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,038
    I use the ant granules that I assume  contains sugar to attract them to the poison. It works for me. Any ant outside the exclusion zone is ok. If it comes near or inside the house, it's war.I
    I think the one I use is called ant stop or something similar.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    edited April 2020
    Every year I have to use the white ant powered stuff around the outside of my house to stop the little critters getting in. Doesn’t look nice but better than being in my house. 

I also get he blasted flying ants each year. They seem to come out between a tiny crack in my patio door when I open it 🙁
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,999
    I use the bait stations like these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stop-Station-Home-Defence-Stopper/dp/B004P2TZK0
    They seem to do the trick.
  • KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    Nippon ant powder. Put it all around the outside of the property and around pipes going into the house and the bottom of window frames, any tiny crack around a window frame is enough for the blighters to get in.
    Look for the little mounds and holes around the outside of the house and put the Nippon anywhere you see them.

Good luck, there a blasted nuisance all you can do is limit there numbers at the start of the summer by using stuff like Nippon powder.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    When I first came to this house there was a major problem with ants in the house. Nippon ant powder did the job. I had them behind skirting boards and all over. I also treated the nests around the house outside, typically where any concrete meets the walls. It is all like one huge ant city, and needs to be attacked at every front! 

• Thanks for all replies! For now I've ordered loads of Nippon powder and they should get it next week theyve got flying ants too now,the worst thing for them is they come down to them in the morning.and when I dont think many of us are sleeping well,its not pleasant.but it's not life threatening.just revolting!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,038
    I find the granules work well. I think the granules are probably sugar which attracts the ants. Always works for me. If they get into a container,I sprinkle some under it. That works too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.