Forum home Plants

Bare root arrivals: beech

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
Hi all,

Just received my beech and put them in water....should I be worried that the leaves are brown and crispy? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,933
    Those are last year's leaves ... they'll fall off as the new buds burst open.  I'd get them planted PDQ  :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    I’m on it!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,933
    I'll sit and watch ;) ☕ 🍪

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I'll sit and watch ;) ☕ 🍪
    Jeez, why didn’t I dig the holes last week?

6 in...not sure I can manage another six.  Can they soak overnight? 😬
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    If you have any broken soil (veg patch) you can 'lay them in' which is the posh term for shoving them in quick somewhere else until needed. The lay bit is you angle them for some reason, that to be honest I've never really understood.

Though I'm sure for just overnight, putting their feet in a bucket of water would be OK.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Yes, overnight is ok but don't keep them in water for much longer than 24h - if you can't plant them tomorrow, take them out and wrap in a wet sack.  I'd consider it a bit late for delivering bare-root trees so if they didn't take, I'd be on to the supplier for a refund.  Were the roots wrapped in something damp when they arrived or were they already dry?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Roots were mostly wet, although some top parts were dry. The roots were wrapped in one plastic binliner then that white plastic thicker stuff around the whole batch of trees.

Ashridge say they were packed last night for delivery today, it’s just taken them a few weeks to get the order out it seems.  They are asking if I have any complaints with the order and are guaranteeing the plants for a year...though I’m not sure how that works in practice.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,882
    I think they'll be ok if you can get them in sharpish. A soak overnight is ideal,then keep them really well watered.
    It is a bit late for getting them, but beech is tough. 

You could probably have done with the rain we've had overnight and this morning - it was perfect for settling in plants, and more coming in the next two days  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384
    Mainly wet roots on delivery sounds good and Ashridge know what they are doing so you should be fine. :)   As @Fairygirl says, they'll need plenty of water from now until Winter - at least a bucketful per tree per week.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Oh really that much?

Im thinking I should’ve been watering my conifers more then 😬

We’re expecting rain Sunday/Monday but I dont know how much.