Forum home Problem solving

Getting rid of Japanese Anenomes

Hi I am desperate for help. We are being overrun with Japanese Anenomes, literally. We have tried digging them out, have covered them over in the winter but having removed the covering find they are still there!!  We are going to lawn the area where they are so need the best method, or what is the strongest weedkiller we can use to get rid of them.  TIA

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,994
    Glysophate or is it Glyphosate? Anyway try and buy the industrial strength stuff and carefully spray or paint it on the leaves
    Be prepared for the long haul. We never managed to get rid of it over 20 years of trying.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    Why dont they spread like this in my garden
  • booth.p3booth.p3 Posts: 3
    My Dad gave me a cutting about 25 years ago and for years it hardly did anything, then 3/4 years ago it started going mad!!  As much as I like the plant and flowers they have become a real problem. 
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    Why don't they spread like this in my garden
    They struggle in my garden too!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • I have one (I thinks it’s called Whirlwind) in my garden, and reading this makes me a bit worried. Maybe I should remove it before it starts taking over. Frankly after three years it’s still not doing great and the few flowers I get every autumn are not that impressive. 

The second one on that list is my peony Sarah Bernard - only one flower a year for the last three years and it was already quite mature when I bought it. I did all I could making sure it’s not too deep, mulching, feeding etc. This year is her last chance 😡
    Surrey
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    It all goes to show how varied conditions can be, even when we can't see the difference. I planted three JA's about 25 years ago and now I have 7 or 8. They flower wonderfully, but are hardly invasive. There's a Sarah B peony, too. It was old when we moved here 30 years ago and I have divided it, moved bits. It's still flowering vigorously.