Forum home Wildlife gardening

Please wedge open your council garden waste bin

Just to help any creatures escape. Especially as they are not currently being collected.

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,734
    In London that would be a fox-feeding assistance tool.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,094
    edited April 2020
    A Queen wasp was trying to get into ours the other day, even with the lid closed ... don't want her to nest in there ... not nice for the lovely bin men  :o

What creatures do you have in your bins that need to escape?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hilary777Hilary777 Wirral Posts: 2
    A Queen wasp was trying to get into ours the other day, even with the lid closed ... don't want her to nest in there ... not nice for the lovely bin men  :o

Spiders, beetles, flies, butterflies... too many to list really.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,832

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,918
    @wild edges - so that's where my daughter went......

Mine's empty, so no need to do anything  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,309
    Only thing in mine apart from green waste are slugs and snails, not leaving that bin open

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,526
    If you are worried about critters being trapped, why not pile all your green waste on a sheet of plastic or on concrete outside in your garden and leave it overnight, they will crawl out themselves, then put it in your green bin and keep the lid closed to guard against unwanted visitors.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,094
    Rik56 said:
    Mine are being collected.
    So are ours, so far ........ 🤞
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,984
    Since the green waste is taken away and piled up in the open to be processed (ie watered and turned every day until it rots down) any creatures in it are going to be able to escape when they reach the composting site. At least that is what happens round here. We used to live just up the road from where the Council collected green waste was processed, so I have seen how it happens.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,990
    I find that ladybirds find their way to the edge, and l've assisted many a would be escapee on many occasions. 
    However, my green waste bin ends up with many snails in it. If l left the lid wedged open, it would be "Freedom lads, time for revenge !"
    I think @Nollie 's idea is a good one.