Forum home Plants

What plants to buy unseen?

The local garden centres have a delivery service now. Phone up and tell them what you want. The slight problem is I don't know much about plants and therefore what to ask for.

I'm looking for plants for all the sections except the bottom front square of the multi-level planter. The climber at the back is a Jasmine. It would be nice if some of the plants cascade over the edges. I'd like a mix of perennials and annuals. All suggestions gratefully accepted please.

I also need a perennial for the nearest corner of the single level bed and some small colourful annuals to fill in any spaces. The other plants in that bed are Dianthus (bit poorly). Lilium. Some small and big Geraniums, Choisya Ternata, Salvia and a Lupin along with the Acer in the middle.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,340
    I would stick with annuals for this year and when lockdown is over, you will be able to look at the perennials in garden centres, parks etc and see what you like.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,481
    edited April 2020
    Trailing plants ideas here
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/graham-rice/perennials-and-bulbs/10-agm-trailing-plants
    For more temporary traling type planting,  you could try nasturtiums (can be a bit of a problem with blackfly though), petunias including the million belles and trillion belles types (calibrachoa), and  bacopa.
    Begonias would give a colourful show in that square bed just as a temporary measure. As B3 says, it might be better to wait until the autumn when we will hopefully be able to return to the garden centres, and choose your perennials in the flesh.  (Also a good time of year for planting :) )
  • Thanks, 
    Nasturtiums are an absolute no go - had those last year and they were 100% covered in caterpillars and bugs. Never again. I had petunias in the other bigger bed - admittedly far too many - and the totally took over. I'll look at the varieties you mention.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,481
    Know what you mean about nasturtium  - they took the attention away from the runner beans though! 
    Good luck  with whatever you decide to do.
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 336
    You can literally put anything you like in there if you pay attention to the eventual height and spread.

Good trailing plants are thing like -

• ROCK SOAPWORT (Saponaria ocymoides)
    • CREEPING THYME (Thymus)
    • BELL FLOWERS (Campanulas)
    • STONECROP (Sedum)
    • TRAILING LOBELIA (Lobelia erinus)
    • CREEPING JENNY (Lysimachia nummularia)
    • MYRTLE SPURGE (Euphorbia myrsinites)
    • CREEPING PHLOX (Phlox subulata)
    • CREEPING CHARLIE (Glechoma hederacea)
    • Erigeron Karvinskaianus
    • Aubretia
    Then there are perennials like Geums , gaura, snapdragons (tender) , salvia, heuchera, Tiarella and so on.  So many to choose from.  Maybe even an ornamental grass and small shrubs like smaller hebes  etc.  plus tons of annuals to choose from. 

• OK....just an update - I ordered from a local garden centre.
    I just got a bunch of annual flowers - violas ermm....I forgot the other names.  Way too many plants so I gave about 1/3rd to my neighbours. 
    I've packed them in too tightly and next time I'll buy half that amount or less.
    Will take a picture once they're a bit settled.

P.S. I got 200litres of compost from the same place for £10 but it's the stuff that's made from kitchen waste. God it stinks. I hope that dies down pretty quick!