Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ground cover under trees

I have recently moved and my house backs onto woodland. The back of the garden has some large trees and various plants in the ground cover. Attached are a few pictures of this as I have no knowledge of plants and wondered if these are generally weeds or plants and if I have anything invasive it would be recommended I remove.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited April 2020
    Most of those look fine but do remove the large-leaved plant in the last photo as that is a dock and will have deep roots which you should try and remove intact.  Many ground-covers are naturally a little invasive (eg periwinkle with the 5 petals in pic 2) but can be pulled-up if they start spreading where you don't want them.  The violet flowers in pic 1 are violets, by the way.  Many of the others are wild flowers which may be classed as weeds in a flower border but are of great benefit to wildlife.  It also looks absolutely beautiful to me. :)  
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NeganNegan Posts: 30
    Hi Bob, thank you for quick reply. I will remove the dock and try and get the root. Thanks for identifying others as I can look these up now. Do you know what the plants coming up in left of second photo or top if I could have posted the correct way is. Are these bluebells coming up? I do like the natural look but wanted to check nothing I should be removing.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    You mean these?:

Not bluebells, but I'm sure someone will recognise them.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 968
    Lily of the valley, you will get lovely little white bells.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,202
    cornelly said:
    Lily of the valley, you will get lovely little white bells.
    And beautifully scented too  <3
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NeganNegan Posts: 30
    Yes they are the ones I meant. Thank you all for your help