Forum home Problem solving

English Bluebell Bulbs

Paul165Paul165 Posts: 97
edited April 2020 in Problem solving
Hi forum

I have purchased a lot of english bluebell bulbs.  I have a large, shady bed ripe for planting but which is overcast by a row of small hawthorn trees, so I figured some woodland planting would do the job and like the idea of a sea of bluebells at the back of the garden.

My questions to the experts are:

1. Is there any downside to planting the bulbs this weekend, as I'm pretty set on this being my "isolation task" for Saturday!

2. Assuming that's fine, is there any way to prepare the ground I should be bearing in mind?  I've raked, weeded, and flattened the soil out so it should be good to go, I think.

Appreciate I'll probably need to wait until next year to see any action!

Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    You need to get them into the ground as soon as possible as blubell bulbs dry out quickly.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Paul165Paul165 Posts: 97
    ok, so stuff em in the ground quick and all will be well?!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Depends on the state of the bulbs - bluebell bulbs are usually supplied in autumn and planted then, so yours could already be rather dry.  Nothing else you can do other than plant then now, really.  Hopefully, they will send up a few leaves this year (which will build the bubls up) and some of the larger ones may still flower in a few weeks but they likely won't do much until late winter or early spring next year.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.