Forum home Wildlife gardening

Quick wildlife camera question

My mum has loaned me her wildlife camera that she's never used as she couldn't get it to work, so that I can (hopefully) get to see the nighttime activities of my visiting hedgehog. I think I've got it working so I'll try it out for a few nights and then invest in my own if all is well. This is probably a really stupid question but.... I don't want it to go off all day, which I assume it would, as I have lots of birds feeding in my garden every day. Even if I moved Hoggie's feeding place to a less visited corner (it's currently underneath the bird feeding station) I think the camera will still catch movement from birds all day. Do others simply turn their camera off during the day and switch it on at night? Or should there be a setting where I can choose the time period it's active? The camera is not a known brand - it's from easylife - and I suspect it's a basic camera. I just wondered if others do this switching on/off thing nightly or if other cameras tend to have a time function. Also all recommendations of camera brands/models for my future purchase welcomed!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Hi @gilla.walmsley. I never switched mine off. It didn't have a timer.The batteries lasted quite well though.
    Is it because you don't want to sift through all the footage? You could just switch it off in the morning and back on in the evening if you want it just for the hoggies. 
    I can't remember exactly the name of mine - it's an Apeman. I'll see if I can find  a link to it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks @Fairygirl - yes, just because it will literally be on the whole day - if I'm going to capture the area where the Hoggie hangs out, the birds are constantly there all day (flocks of starings, pigeons etc, all on the ground). I'll keep it switched off during the day and try to remember to switch it on every night! I wondered if some had a "night time only" option or a timer setting...
    edited April 2020
    They may well have timers, but I expect they'll be dearer models too.
    Mine was around £50.
    I'll have a look and see if I can find mine. I think I got it on Amazon, but I'm not 100% sure.

Here you go - it's even cheaper now  ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7FXWP1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does need 8 batteries though 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,838
    I switch mine off if I can or I just cover the movement sensor so it doesn't get triggered. You can play with the sensitivity on some models so it's less likely to get triggered by birds flying past but then you risk missing some stuff.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    We put ours out at dusk when we put the hog food out. It does have a timer too. Ours is an Apeman and takes stills and video ( it's amazing what the camera misses but the video sees) it does eat batteries though so reducing it's "on" time is a must.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    I found this pdf manual online for what l think might be your mum's camera.  At a quick glance, l can't see any mention of a timer, but l could be mistaken. 
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.easylifegroup.com/docs/2530_wildlife_security_camera_instructions.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiNn6vB1tjoAhU2QEEAHWrMDQsQFjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw1kVzUIgR1hpn4lo5XdPajk

My Aldi ones have a timer setting, it does make life easier. 
  • Thank you everyone! Things I have learnt from last night's trial wildlife camera run:

1. It's a very bad camera - most of the night images are completely whited out and you can't make anything out (but maybe I had it too close to the hedgehog feeding bowl - it was about 3 foot away).
    2. The video function doesn't work at all (this is the problem my Mum also found) - all the videos are just black
    3. But I did discover the my own greedy gannet of a cat is eating the majority of the hedgehog food  :D:D:D - Even though I cover it up with a sprinkle of hedgehog muesli and biscuits! @AnniD I definitely need to get building that plastic hedgehog feeding house today!!
    4. Hedgehog did visit at least twice from the little I can make out
    5. Also had an inquisitive wood pigeon checking the camera out early in the morning which made me laugh

I definitely need to invest in a proper camera, I'm going to buy an Apeman today - seems like that's what everyone has :) I'll find a model that has a timer, i think it'll be useful. Can't wait to get some proper images/videos of what's going on!
    Unfortunately, that's the problem @gilla.walmsley. Cats eat the hedgehog biscuits too.

I had to protect mine a bit because the dampness overnight caused misting. I rigged up a plastic box to put mine in, with a hole in it, which helped a lot. 

• @Fairygirl what did you use to cut the entrance hole in the plastic box? I tried briefly with a stanley knife but it was really hard!
    I think that's what I used @gilla.walmsley but I really can't remember. 

Perhaps an old pair of secateurs or my flower snips though  :)