Forum home Problem solving

How to fix concrete wall after ivy

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions on repairs that can be made to a wall after removing a massive amount of ivy!? Example picture of problem attached. 

• Image seems to be on its side but you get the idea...
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    That's not going to be easy if the wall consists of concrete slabs and the ivy has got in between. Has it been removed from the other side as well and how high and wide is it?
    Usually, you get a stiff wire brush to rub off all the dried bits and then possibly repaint.
    Another solution might be to erect trellis to or in front of the wall if it's not yours to hide the concrete/dead ivy.  
  • Thank you. 
    It was all over yeah but has been removed and scrubbed off both sides. Bit worried the wall is going to crumble!
    It is concrete slabs but the wall is over 90ft long so I’m trying to avoid having to replace it as that will likely cost me an arm and a leg. 
    Is there any way to support it perhaps?
  • It’s about 6ft high, consisting of 5 slabs. Each panel is probably 8ft or so at a guess 
  • Another thought, is there anything I could buy so put in the gaps where the ivy has pushed it apart / broken it to sort of bind it back together? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    Hi @paulmuddle - is it a boundary wall, or a building?
    I think you may have to have that redone - or rendered, or similar.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It is a boundary wall yeah. It’s the side of my garden. Other side of the wall is an alleyway up to garages behind. 
    Is rendering an expensive process vs just knocked down and putting a fence in its place? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    Ah - I wasn't sure if it was a 'coating' on an existing wall of some kind. You couldn't render that.

I think a fence would be cheaper.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ok. Thank you very much for your help