Forum home Problem solving

Beer/yeast free slug trap recipes

Hello everyone, I hope we are all doing ok and enjoying the sun in our gardens for those lucky enough to have them. My thoughts go out to those that don’t have that freedom and can’t wait to get back to normal again. 

Anyway, I would like to know if anyone has a winning recipe for slug trap juice that doesn’t include beer or yeast... at the moment beers are for drinking and yeast is for making bread, not that we can get any!

I’ve heard of using porridge oats mixed with beer, but again I’d rather not waste food at the moment.

I would love to hear some recipes I can try and maybe have a slug off to decide which is the best as we’ve got plenty of the yucky guys about!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Most (use non-citrus) fruit skins will have some yeast on the surface, so try mixing peelings with some sugar dissolved in warm water.  Cover with a damp cloth and leave somewhere warm for a few days.  I'm sure the slugs will love it.
    Before the days of commercially available yeasts, all wines were made simply by using the natural yeasts on the fruit or flowers.  Elder (berries or flowers) is a good natural source.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,124
    @BobTheGardener - I've never heard of that - would it work with banana skins, do you think?
    It's my fruit of choice - most fruit I buy is eaten whole, so no skins to remove  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    @Fairygirl You mean you don't have a slave to peel your grapes for you?  Most unrefined! :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,124
    @Fairygirl You mean you don't have a slave to peel your grapes for you?  Most unrefined! :D
    I like the roughage  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....