Forum home Wildlife gardening

Is this safe for dogs?

Looking to put this on my grass, but I have dog, was wondering if anyone knows if it’s safe? 

Thanks in advanced 

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,973
    If you keep the dog off the lawn for a day or so it'll be fine.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    It does say keep away from pets but that would be in concentrated form.   As WillDB says, keep the dog off the grass for at least a day after application.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    I'm sure that brand stated in the past keep pets off until after it dried? But don't see that on the label now. Seems to fit with what people are saying in any case, would expect it to have dried in a day or so.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,861
    From what I remember these products usually contain something that is ferrous (i.e. contains iron). If a dog walks on the wet treated grass then onto your patio or floor indoors, there's a risk of rust spots appearing.
    It happened on my patio many years ago, but seemed to bother me a lot more than my dog! The spots did eventually disappear.
    Of course it may have been reformulated since then
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited April 2020
    @Pete.8 The contents are in the photo and you are quite right, it has 16% w/v of Iron Sulphate (and some Nitrogen-providing plant food.)  Neither are poisonous in small diluted-as-per-instructions quantities.  In fact, Ferrous Sulphate is used in Iron tablets to help with anaemia.  You are also quite right that it will stain many types of surface.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,245
    Endorsing the above, our mutt left several marks on such things as wooden sills between rooms and they were a devil to remove.  Ours was a different brand but still Ferrous based.