Forum home Problem solving

Gripple Wire system

Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,487
Does anybody else use these and is there a way of releasing the wire and re-using the green Gripple tensioners. I stupidly cut my wires when we had new fence panels put up and now need to reinstate them. I suspect however they work much like plastic ties.   

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    You need @Pete.8.   He's used this system.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,821
    Yes & yes you need a very small flat screwdriver, I use one out of a Christmas cracker!
    You carefully use it to release the little tag inside that makes the grip wheel tighten but nor loosen - just like plastic ties as you say.
    AB Still learning

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,852
    Obelixx said:
    You need @Pete.8.   He's used this system.
    Good memory Oblelixx  :)

It's just as AB says above there's a metal gripper that holds the 'wire', when you push the screwdriver in it presses on the metal and releases the wire. 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    @Pete.8   Better than your spelling!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,315
    Obelixx said:
    But its always good to evoke Morecambe and Wise. I'm using all the right letters...….
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
    One "l" too many!!!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,487
    Many thanks @Allotment Boy and @Pete.8. I've got a really small screwdriver -somewhere! I'll look for it in the morning and have a go. The system is really good but too expensive just to chuck.
    Obelixx said:
    I've never been good spolling foreighn names :)
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121
    I’ve just been reading this thread as I have the same problem as the above member. I tried following the advice given but nothing seems to be working, I placed screwdrivers in all the little openings😂. This is the Gripple system I use. Can this one be released with the magic screwdriver? 

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

edited April 2020
    There's a quick youtube vid here that shows how it's done-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WO_mmZjm4E

You need a really small screwdriver (or a gripple releasing key as in the vid)
    I had a really thin jewelers screwdriver that worked.
    A long thin nail and a pair of pliers may work if you don't have anything else suitable. 

PS - you need to keep the little 'spring' depressed while you pull the wire back through.