Forum home Plants

Loosestrife Lysimachia ciliata ‘Firecracker’

WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,314
Has anybody experience of this plant, we were given a handful of tiny clumps 18 months ago and this is rapidly spreading throughout 2 perennial beds. Can this be difficult to control ? It's supposed to like wet so was going to add it to my pond area and wet bed (floods every winter) but don't want to spread it if I can't get rid 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,374
    Vicious thug.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,314
    Well that's not optimistic then. @punkdoc do you think it could spread into a meadow ? The main bed it's in is next too our meadow and I really don't want it to get loose in there 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,374
    Here it has spread far and wide and I spend a lot of time removing it. I quite like it, but really struggle to control it.
    He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,632
    It's a thug and I find the deep dark foliage looks hideous with those bright flowers.  Dig up what you can and get rid asap.  The stuff I had was described as having pale lemon flowers which might have been OK but they were actually a strong acid yellow.  Nasty.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 887
    Hi @Wilderbeast,

I grow this plant in a damp spot and I love it .... but it is a well known escape artiste!

I've surrounded it with some wide damp proof membrane we had left over when we built our house.
    Five years on and it's worked a treat in containing it.

You could also use a large bottomless pot.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
    So I decided it had to go, wow what a job hadn't realised just how far it had spread and how it was tangled in so many plants. A large wheel barrow load and it all started from 6 little scraps, it was a freebie from our window. Think I may pay for a good while now, mega root system with runners heading everywhere 😭😭
    Window cleaner !!! I really need to learn how to type 
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,160
    Wot Obelixx said!  A thug, unpleasant to look at and a real pain.  It "crept" under the fence from next door.  It is now a permanent battle to keep it there!
    It's gone but I think it's going to be back 
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    I agree it can turn up where not wanted, but a couple of years ago it appeared with my Helenium 'Sahin's Early' and looked lovely.

A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)