Forum home Plants

Loosestrife Lysimachia ciliata ‘Firecracker’

WilderbeastWilderbeast Posts: 1,413
Has anybody experience of this plant, we were given a handful of tiny clumps 18 months ago and this is rapidly spreading throughout 2 perennial beds. Can this be difficult to control ? It's supposed to like wet so was going to add it to my pond area and wet bed (floods every winter) but don't want to spread it if I can't get rid 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 13,743
    Vicious thug.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast Posts: 1,413
    Well that's not optimistic then. @punkdoc do you think it could spread into a meadow ? The main bed it's in is next too our meadow and I really don't want it to get loose in there 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 13,743
    Here it has spread far and wide and I spend a lot of time removing it. I quite like it, but really struggle to control it.
    How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,158
    It's a thug and I find the deep dark foliage looks hideous with those bright flowers.  Dig up what you can and get rid asap.  The stuff I had was described as having pale lemon flowers which might have been OK but they were actually a strong acid yellow.  Nasty.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,174
    Hi @Wilderbeast,

I grow this plant in a damp spot and I love it .... but it is a well known escape artiste!

I've surrounded it with some wide damp proof membrane we had left over when we built our house.
    Five years on and it's worked a treat in containing it.

You could also use a large bottomless pot.

Bee x
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
    So I decided it had to go, wow what a job hadn't realised just how far it had spread and how it was tangled in so many plants. A large wheel barrow load and it all started from 6 little scraps, it was a freebie from our window. Think I may pay for a good while now, mega root system with runners heading everywhere 😭😭
    Window cleaner !!! I really need to learn how to type 
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,185
    Wot Obelixx said!  A thug, unpleasant to look at and a real pain.  It "crept" under the fence from next door.  It is now a permanent battle to keep it there!
    It's gone but I think it's going to be back 
  • I agree it can turn up where not wanted, but a couple of years ago it appeared with my Helenium 'Sahin's Early' and looked lovely.

A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)