Forum home Wildlife gardening

Spare parts for a Nuttery bird feeder

herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
Not sure this is in the right category but here goes:

I have several of the original squirrel proof Nuttery feeders and over time the little screws which hold the base on have rusted or been dropped. I have three left which I am recycling as the feeders get cleaned but have tried unsuccessfully to get some more. Now the Company no longer exist does anyone know anywhere I could get a few?

They are very small and look as though they have been cut to be flush with the base. I have no way to cut a screw so adapting another would be difficult.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett

• B3B3 Posts: 21,514
    Would heavy duty cable ties do the job?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    I don't think so @B3 because of the design, the two screws are either side of the plastic tube and my guess is that the screws are cut flush or they would be a hazard for the birds. I'll go get a pic when it stops raining so you can see what I mean.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    The screws give the whole feeder rigidity and stop the plastic tube coming loose

I bought a couple of cheap feeders to keep going until I could find a solution but the squirrel trashed them

• B3B3 Posts: 21,514
    edited April 2020
    Have you tired the screws out of the cheapo?
    If you're worried about sticky out screws you could wrap twine or plumbers tape around them ( that white plastic stuff you use to stop tap joints leaking.)
    Or twist a bit of wood onto the pointy end of th screw if its sticking out
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,384
    I would just drill out the screws and replace with small stainless steel nuts and bolts. I wouldn't worry about them being a hazard to birds - they perch on much spikier stuff without any problems.
    edited April 2020
    Magic @steephill, now to determine the size of the screws. Great new project! Can you tell I'm getting bored now?

Seriously going to give the nut and bolt a go if I can manage a match.

Thank you for the suggestions @B3 the cheapo was so cheap the screws were pretty much 'farmyard waste' and looked like self-tappers in any case. If the nut and bolt proves too challenging I might give the nut+PTFE tape a try though.

Got to keep the birds happy (and their children) going to need them when the aphids have a go at the veg!
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,544
    Can you push a small machine screw down from the top and fasten with a wingnut from underneath? It's bound to be a fairly standard screw though, you just need to find the right hardware shop to sort you out with some spares (once shopping is allowed again).

Can you take a picture of the screw with a ruler for scale out of interest?
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
    I have a picture of the screw for you @wild edges just hope I am not encouraging any kind of addiction........  Although now it seems I should be referring to a bolt (see below)

All good ideas folks but I have discovered that any approach which requires top and bottom access is out as there is a permanent nut for the teeny tiny bolt. Back to the drawing board.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,544
    That's an M3 countersunk machine screw. Lemme check the garage as I might have some.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
    I have no idea what you just said @wild edges but it made me very happy!