Forum home Problem solving

Removing slab path through lawn and growing more grass

Hi! I’m wanting to remove these slab through my garden and make it just one big grass bit of grass. Any tips on the best way to fill it in? Grass is already quite mossy so looking to sort that too, under the slabs is just soil.

Thanks in advance 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,294
    lift the slabs, add some topsoil , rake it, firm it down, rake it again and sow grass seed . Perfect time of year to do it.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    The only problem is - you'll still walk down that line to get to the shed  ;)
    It will therefore need attention in future, as it'll sink a bit, and get worn in a lot of areas. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fkvalentine1fkvalentine1 ScotlandPosts: 4
    I’m eventually going to get a new shed in a different area and lay a new path 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    That'll be grand then - good luck with it  :)

I'm guilty of doing the same - we always take the shortest route from A to B, don't we?  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    One problem is the ex-path position will likely always be visible in the grass due to using a different seed mixture than the original or any path sub-base which may have been laid giving different drainage.  Personally, I would lift the slabs and use them to make the base for the new shed.  Get the new shed, remove the old shed and only then start on the grass.  All of that work will damage what grass you already have anyway, so best to do the building work, dig/rotovate the area of ground left, then turf or seed it. 
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • fkvalentine1fkvalentine1 ScotlandPosts: 4
    Thanks for your helps guys, if you would like to keep up with my gardens progress you can follow my garden page on Instagram www.instagram.com/my_hobbit_garden/
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    Fairygirl said:
    The only problem is - you'll still walk down that line to get to the shed  ;)
    It will therefore need attention in future, as it'll sink a bit, and get worn in a lot of areas. 

Maybe @fkvalentine1 plans to use one of those to get access from the house to the shed.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).