Forum home Problem solving

What can I do about a "dying" Erysimum?

Hi all,

Unfortunately a potted Erysimum we have was a bit neglected from sunlight and water for a few days and has turned from a dark green to a bright yellow - the buds that were once open are now closed up too.

I've transferred it from the original pot to a new, larger one, have given it a Miracle Gro general plant food feed and have also been watering it on a daily basis.

It seems to have improved slightly but is there anything I can do to help it along further?

Picture below.

Many thanks,

Andrew

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,069
    Leave it be a while but make sure it doesn't go thirsty again.   These are short lived anyway so, when it does recover and put on some growth, take cuttings.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 188
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for your reply. Will be sure to keep it watered now! :)

Ah that's a shame - I was told by the garden centre that they would continue to flower throughout the season...
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 619
    They do flower for a very long time and the one in the photo does look to me like it could recover. Once it has been watered I don't think watering every day is a great idea as plants need to dry out a bit in between getting water to stay healthy. I'd check that the soil has got a bit dryer before giving it more water. I think the comment about taking cuttings is more about having plants for future years growing them. They are sold as perennials but many don't last more than two years.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I usually get about 3 years out of them (growing in the ground) but do take cuttings because they can suddenly up and die without much warning.
    edited April 2020
    Ok thank you both - I will keep an eye on the soil and bear in mind about the cuttings if we want the plant further down the line :). Good news that it looks like it will recover - will make sure to take better care next time!! haha.
    So after a few decent days of sunshine and rain, it has revived successfully!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    Great!