Forum home Problem solving

What can I do about a "dying" Erysimum?

Hi all,

Unfortunately a potted Erysimum we have was a bit neglected from sunlight and water for a few days and has turned from a dark green to a bright yellow - the buds that were once open are now closed up too.

I've transferred it from the original pot to a new, larger one, have given it a Miracle Gro general plant food feed and have also been watering it on a daily basis.

It seems to have improved slightly but is there anything I can do to help it along further?

Picture below.

Many thanks,

Andrew

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,626
    Leave it be a while but make sure it doesn't go thirsty again.   These are short lived anyway so, when it does recover and put on some growth, take cuttings.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 196
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for your reply. Will be sure to keep it watered now! :)

Ah that's a shame - I was told by the garden centre that they would continue to flower throughout the season...
  • They do flower for a very long time and the one in the photo does look to me like it could recover. Once it has been watered I don't think watering every day is a great idea as plants need to dry out a bit in between getting water to stay healthy. I'd check that the soil has got a bit dryer before giving it more water. I think the comment about taking cuttings is more about having plants for future years growing them. They are sold as perennials but many don't last more than two years.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 9,558
    I usually get about 3 years out of them (growing in the ground) but do take cuttings because they can suddenly up and die without much warning.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
    edited April 2020
    Ok thank you both - I will keep an eye on the soil and bear in mind about the cuttings if we want the plant further down the line :). Good news that it looks like it will recover - will make sure to take better care next time!! haha.
    So after a few decent days of sunshine and rain, it has revived successfully!
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 9,558
    Great!
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained