Forum home Plants

Advice on lupin cuttings

Cosmos01Cosmos01 Posts: 8
I have tried twice to take basal cuttings from my lupins. I make sure i cut as far down and close to the mother plant as I can. I trim the lower leaves off but still after a couple of days they wilt and die... I have a beautiful lupin that I would like some more of any ideas? I use fresh cuttings compost and water them in well.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    I'd just do normal cuttings. Round the edge of a pot - three or four depending on it's size. Gritty compost, remove lower foliage and cut top leaves in half if they're big, tuck them somewhere sheltered and let them get on with it.
    Don't overwater. They can't cope with too much when trying to make roots.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Cosmos01Cosmos01 Posts: 8
    ooohhh maybe I watered them too much.... only once a day though. I shall try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Also I put them in the middle of the pot, I don;t suppose that makes much difference does it?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,450
    They do better at the edge. I have forgotten why, but they do.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 555
    edited April 2020
    Once a day is too much, they just need slightly damp soil not wet. Putting then around the edge helps ensure they get good drainage whilst developing roots but isn’t essential - it always seems a waste of a pot to me so I often have them round the edge and in the middle 😄
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    Round the edge means they avoid getting too wet. Less soil/compost around them to get too wet and drown any tiny roots which start growing.
    The biggest cause of any cuttings failing is overwatering. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,409
    Agree, I always do any kind of cutting in 50/50 MPC & perlite, water once, cover with polythene bag and keep somewhere warm in good light but out of direct sun.  No watering until new growth appears.  I have a heated bed which helps enormously so if you can provide a bit of warmth from the bottom then even better.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I did a little video that you might find useful about Lupton cuttings.

• AstroAstro Posts: 309
    I've got a question , do you end up with the same or more flowers in the first year from taking cuttings? As in do you lose any from the parent, and to what extent is this compensated for by the new plants? I watched your video prior to checking this thread @Leigh Greenslade and thought it was very useful and well presented 👍

• Hi @astro thanks for the feedback. To be honest I've not noticed any difference in flowering. Usually if you thin out flowing stems on a plant the plant responds by putting more energy into fewer blooms. Like pinching out side stems on a Dahlia to focus energy in the main primary bloom, making it bigger.

Maybe others in this forum might have some observations. 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 309
    Hi @astro thanks for the feedback. To be honest I've not noticed any difference in flowering. Usually if you thin out flowing stems on a plant the plant responds by putting more energy into fewer blooms. Like pinching out side stems on a Dahlia to focus energy in the main primary bloom, making it bigger.

Maybe others in this forum might have some observations. 
    Thanks for that. I've taken a couple of cuttings and will see how they go.