Forum home Problem solving

Conifer in wrong position.

The conifer in attached photo is in the wrong position. Would it be a mistake to take this down by half my brother is asking or best to remove altogether. Has anyone had a similar issue. Peter

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    Apart from northerly forests, IMHO all conifers are in the wrong position!  But that's just me.
  • Peter553Peter553 Posts: 92
    Thanks. Agree I think this maybe worth a try to see if we can reduce and hopefully rescue it some way -depending on how it looks after haircut 😛 If not we can always remove. Many thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    If you’re going to reduce its height and then still bring the top to a taper you’ll need to cut the trunk about 8” lower than the wished for height, and then tie the ‘fronds’ in so they form the desired shape with green plastic covered wire. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 670
    I think conifers sometimes can look better without being shaped in a cone. My parents cut a row of these type of conifer down by half, leaving an open shape that looks much better than I expected. The remaining branches on theirs grow up on the outside so the cut stump is not visible.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147
    The problem is - if you cut too far - it doesn't grow back, so try a few gentle cuts first and see. To keep their natural shape  [which is what that is ] you have to trim regularly form the word go.
    I'd be inclined to take it out, and see it as an opportunity to plant something else. Not because I dislike conifers, but because that isn't in the best site, and it's going to be hard to get it right. 

I see them everywhere here - usually a few feet from the front windows, because people buy them when they're eighteen inches high, and they look 'cute'. They take a long while to get to any size, then suddenly, they wonder why they're sitting in their front rooms with the lights on all day ... ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,077
    It does look out of place there. I'm usually ridiculously merciful, but I can't see anything you can do to make the conifer right. I vote for the chop too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Many thanks to all for great feedback . I’m sure you’ll agree if you buy a house with garden there’s nothing much you can do about what is planted. Plenty of options to go with thanks again.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Thing is, when you  buy a house you decorate and furnish the rooms to your taste, needs and budget.   Same with the garden.  Live with what you have till you decide what you need, want and have to let go.

Trying to make it a smaller conifer of the same shape will reveal too much brown wood that will not regenerate and it will just look awful - even worse than it does now.  Cut it down leaving enough of a stump for your to wiggle back and forth so you can then remove as much of the roots as possible.  

Once it's out, refresh the soil with some well-rotted garden compost and/or manure and then plant something interesting and attractive and better suited to the position.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Appreciate feed back thanks 😊 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Let us know what you do and how you get on.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw