Forum home Problem solving

Seed head identification

A few years ago I took some seed heads from a plant that caught my eye in a abandoned garden. Sorry, don’t, know the name but tall with purple flowers. I have tried for several years to germinate them but nothing ever happens. Can anyone tell me please what it might be so I can at least look it up for seed guidance. Lastly, in the attached picture is the small thing above the seed head the actual seed? Thanks. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,852
    I grow catananche caerulea and the seed heads do look similar
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    I was thinking catananche as well @Pete.8
    I was only cutting last years dead flower stems off yesterday. The plants are growing well again.
  • Thanks guys. Having looked at some pictures now they certainly seem the same. I’ll try to find out now how to plant them. 
    edited April 2020
    I sowed mine on 10th July 2017 :)
    They're hardy perennials so sow the seed when it would naturally drop in summer in a tray with compost, water and leave outside somewhere sheltered. They popped up in a couple of weeks, then I potted them up and overwintered them in a cold frame and planted out in the spring.
    Mine do self seed a bit as new plants pop up now and again near the parents.

PS - I should say you could also sow them now and with a bit of luck plant them out this autumn if they're a decent size.
    https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_285A_catananche_caerulea

• Much appreciated. I’ll try again this week, only this time I won’t bury them in compost, just sprinkle them on the top. Fingers crossed and thanks again. 
    Check out the Growing Advice tab on the link above.
    If you don't cover the seed they'll likely dry out as they germinate. Vermiculite is great stuff for covering seeds and keeping them moist, but 3mm deep as per the packet in compost should work fine. I gave mine no special treatment.