Forum home Problem solving

Planter Advice

Hi Guys, I’m after some advice of what to do best with this before I start it Do I need to line it and drill holes in the bottom ? And does it need to be raised off the floor slightly or not?  Im wanting to
grow some herbs in it and maybe some
garlic and chillis etc. Also my partner wants a bit  of colour in it as well . Regards sunlight we get quite a bit in the afternoon and shade in the morning. 

Thanks Chris 

Planter advice

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,991
    Yes - to both those questions  :)
    It would be better to line it too, to prevent moisture loss and rot. it'll last longer that way. 

Herbs mostly need good drainage and sun, so do a bit of research according to what you want to grow. Chives like shade. Chillis need protection, so they'd need to be indoors somewhere.
    Not sure garlic would do well - but I don't grow it, so you'll get advice from others on that. 
    You can certainly grow flowering plants too - just pick ones which suit the conditions. Alternatively, you can put a barrier in so that you can have different mediums for different plants.
    Containers of any kind need more attention re watering as well, even if you have plants which like drier conditions. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you ! What are good all year round plants please 
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 563
    That's a lovely planter you've made. Lavender and thyme will stay in leaf all year round, and in the summer both will flower and attract bees 🐝
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,033
    Rosemary is evegreen too. Make sure you get a small or creeping variety. Chives have pretty, edible flowers
    Most supermarket pots will grow if you plant them out. Supermarket Greek basil makes a nice, ball shaped plant for the summer, but it's not hardy.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Would small conifers
    work in this as
    well ? 
  • Hi have just put these conifers in tonight just need a bit of colour now but not sure what to use 

You won't be able to keep all those in there for long @Chrisj82smith.
    All conifers grow large over time, but there's too many of them all competing for moisture I'm afraid. 
    You could add annuals for this year, but you'll need to rethink those conifers. 

• They garden centre where I got them said they dwarfs and will only grow to a certain height ? 😮
    They won't get big for a while, and anything in a container is restricted in growth terms  [ because of the container ] but there's really no such thing as a 'dwarf' conifer, apart from when they're young.
    You'll have to be prepared to trim them every year to keep them small, only taking off the new growth, and they'll need a lot of watering. 
    The round one will be fine -  possibly, for a few years, but conifers don't really do well in a trough container like that either. 
    The other possibility is that some of them won't thrive at all. 

• Ok I guess I will have to wait and see 🙃 can always take them
    out and get something else . I live in Burnley they will definitely get plenty of water 🤣 if I can get a a year or two out of them then il be happy