Forum home Problem solving

Newly laid lawn (Oct 2019) bumpy with bare patches and visible joins.

Morning,
We had our garden done in Sept/Oct 2019 with a new lawn laid, which looked great when it was first done but has deteriorated over the course of the winter.
The problems are:
- there are bare patches all over the lawn
- the joins that dissappeared in the first month have reappeared 
- the lawn in lumpy to walk on
The lawn was rotivated before turf was laid.
Hoping that someone could offer advice on the reason this may have happened and some solutions, thanks.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 767
    Lawns can look a bit under par coming out of winter but should pick up once we get some warmth and sunshine.

After rotivating the soil would have needed raking to break it into a fine filth (get rid of all the lumps) and create a level surface. If not done well enough then that’s why you’ve got lumps and bumps now. You may be able to deal with some of this by rolling but hopefully someone expert on lawns will look in and advise on that.

Grass seed can be used to fill in any bare patches and gaps
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,291
    Is @glasgowdan around?  He’s one of the names that springs to mind for advice on lawns ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,021
    In the meantime,  have a look at this  :)
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=413

As Butterfly 66 says , lawns can look pretty sad at this time of year, lower light levels during the winter being one factor. I wonder if there is an underlying drainage problem perhaps. 

Welcome to the forum by the way ! 
  • Thanks everyone, really appreciate your thoughts.  I think our soil is quite clayey (?) and it did seem to take a long time to dry out.  The guy that laid it is very respected around here, he is going to come back out after this lockdown is over. 
    In the meantime, If I was to do it myself, should I fill any gaps with top soil and reseed?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    Are the bumps so bad that you can't mow it without scalping the high bits? If not I think I would just keep mowing regularly, little and often but not too short (it does look a bit on the short side for spring, and grass tends to look rough if you cut off a lot in one go) , until your man can come and have a look at it. He's obviously keen to keep his good reputation.
  • No, they are not that bad, just feels it under foot. I will keep rolling it.  Thanks again everyone. 
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    edited April 2020
    No, they are not that bad, just feels it under foot. I will keep rolling it.  Thanks again everyone. 
    I understand that rolling the bumps will just cause compaction.  I try to remove the excess soil from a bald lump, aerate, then rake to a tilth.  Then apply seed.

If the grass if fine but it’s just a bump, then cut and lift the turf, remove some soil and replace the turf.  
  • have you looked under the turf for leatherjackets?