Forum home Problem solving

Dying Eucalyptus- please help

Hi, I am hoping someone can advise the best way to save our eucalyptus tree. I really am clueless with gardens. 

Nov/Dec leaves started turning brown on one side, this has not happened through any other winters. It has now turned the grass yellow and also changed the colour of the rockery. 

The guy who cuts are grass put “round up” (presume weed killer) on the outside of our fence but presume as we live on a hill it has ran onto the rockery and tree. Could he have killed it? 

A saving grace is that half of the tree at the top still has green leaves. Please see image I have uploaded

Please can anyone advise best course of action. 

Thank you. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    Looks to me like he got carried away with the weedkiller and has dosed your garden very badly indeed. There is nothing you can do at this stage as the weedkiller has done its work. If it is glyphosate based Roundup it degenerates on contact with soil so shouldn't cause future problems.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,015
    Definitely the weedkiller has done the damage. 
    @steephill, would the tree recover, or is it dying? 
    I was going to suggest cutting it right down to see if it reshoots? 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    If it still has green leaves there is probably life in it yet. I would cut down one of the trunks and see if it re-shoots. If it does then the other trunks could be cut down later on to balance things up. On the plus side you will get lots of new young growth which is more attractive than mature growth.
  • Thank you for your advice. We have trimmed down the trunks with the dead leaves, when we cut the wood It seemed healthy and smelt lovely. So I am hopeful the rest of the tree may come back again, as there is a lot of green leaves at the top. 

Thank you