Forum home Problem solving

Killing invasive clematis

I have a clematis problem. The plan was to grow a clematis up a washing line post. 
Now it has decided to take over my small garden. It sends out runners which then grow into all the small shrubs. 
I have cut the runners and the shoots, but it returns. 
I think the next step is weed killer. Which is the most effective and how do I use it. It’s really getting me down!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    Hi @ann.casseldine  and welcome to the forum :)

What sort of clematis is it?  Can you post us a photo?  Click on the little 'landscape in a frame' icon and follow the instructions to upload a photo from a phone, ipad or laptop or similar.   If the picture doesn't upload it probably needs to be reduced in size.  
    If in need of help let us know. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Which clematis?   If you can keep cutting every new shoots and stem it will, eventually, give up and there'll be now weedkiller damage to the plants you want to keep.  Failing that the safest option is to let enough grow for their to be foliage you can paint with a glyphosate solution or gel whose active substance will then be sent down to the roots to kill it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Are you sure it's a clematis?! Dig it up out of the ground.
  • First photo is the plant growing up the washing line. Second photo is the clematis growing through another plant. Hope the photos are ok. 
  • It’s definitely a clematis. Unless Morrison’s packaging was wrong!
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I somehow think it may not be a Clematis (wrong label!).
    It looks to me more like a Jasmine but not sure which one.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    I was just going to say the same @madpenguin ... that's a Jasmine ... again not sure which one ... J. beesianum maybe?

It won't be the first time we've come across a mis-labelling ... especially in supermarkets etc.   ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I appreciate the identification. Does jasmine spread by runners?
    How can I get rid of it?
  • Thanks. It has sent runners everywhere. Will start chopping it again tomorrow. 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,074
    You can win eventually. Trace a bit down as close to the ground as you can and then cut the whole parent stem.
    If you wait for the cut off stems to die before removal, it's less damaging to the plant it's smothering.
    Garden centres and growers should be ashamed for selling this thug.
    In London. Keen but lazy.