Forum home Tools and techniques

Propagating roses from grandmothers garden

Good evening, 

my dad is currently in the process of marketing my late grandparents house for sale. I always remember that my grandmother had roses in the front garden and would really love, if possible to have at least one growing in my garden in remembrance. 

I know it’s possible to take cuttings however I have the following challenges in doing so: 

1. I have no idea what I’m doing 🤣
2. it probably wouldn’t be me taking the cutting as the property is in Gran Canaria and so it would be my father who has 0 interest/skill in gardening. 
3. The roses are in Gran Canaria, I don’t know if this will be an issue or not in terms of when to take the cuttings. Especially as given the current situation in Spain my father is unable to check on the property and I’m not sure when he will be able to. 
4. Is it even possible to bring plants back in hand luggage or a suitcase? 

Is this going to be really difficult or could it be reasonably easy to do? I’m a bit of a sentimental person but also don’t want to stress my poor dad out as he will be doing it in all likelihood. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,369
    Given the situation in Spain at the moment it may not be easy. Can anyone even leave the country by plane? Also it isn't advised to bring back plants from abroad in case they bring disease back with them.

Why don't you look for a rose with the same name as your grandmother and plant it in her memory? There are many names but maybe there isn't one, worth looking into though. Do you know the names of any of her roses?
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    I agree with @Busy-Lizzie ... it really isn’t advisable to bring unchecked plants in from abroad. 

What is it you remember about your grandmother’s roses ... perhaps we can help you find some that have those qualities that will remind you of your dear grandmother. 

You might not inherit your grandmother’s roses, but it may be that you do inherit your grandmother’s love of roses, and that is something much more profound. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Aero84Aero84 EssexPosts: 57
    Thanks for your reply. My father is from there, currently lives there and so he would look after them until I could bring them back. It’s also quite unlikely that the house will sell quickly in any case so plenty of time.  

You have given some very sensible and nice alternatives except I think it’s probably unlikely that I’ll be able to find a rose called Concepcion which is my grandmothers name 😂. Also the roses have been there for a really long time possibly upwards of 30 years of this is even possible and the only person who might have known what they were called was her. I will make some enquiries though. 
  • Aero84Aero84 EssexPosts: 57
    edited April 2020
    Thanks Dovefromabove I dont remember anything specific except that she loved roses. Sadly the house has been empty for a while and do I haven’t seen the roses in full bloom for several years but I have many happy memories of playing in the terrace and later reading And sunbathing where the roses were. She did also have a huge bird of paradise plant which I vividly remember but funnily enough I had little love for it so we wont be seeing one of those in my corner of Essex. 
    I do remember there was one lovely red and one white rose plants. Perhaps I’ll look for a rose with a similar colour or with a name that would have meant something to her. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    Have a look on here ... so many beautiful roses and a really top quality supplier. 

I hope you find a rose that’ll help you share your grandmother’s love of them. 

😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 834
    As your grandmother was named after the immaculate conception, what about a Mary Rose shrub?

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/mary-rose