Forum home Problem solving

Compost

With it looking unlikely that there will be any Growbags available this season I’m wondering about improvising. Today I emptied my compost bin, normally I would dig this into the bean trench. Can I use this as is for tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    I would use it mixed with some sieved topsoil and some Fish, Blood & Bone fertiliser. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    I usually use about half-and-half homemade compost and MPC or growbag compost for my toms. This year might be just homemade if I run out of MPC and don't see any growbags in the SM that I shop at, as I don't really have anywhere that I can dig up topsoil - it's all full of plants. It'll be interesting to compare notes later in the season.
  • IvyhouseIvyhouse Posts: 103
    JennyJ said:
    I usually use about half-and-half homemade compost and MPC or growbag compost for my toms. This year might be just homemade if I run out of MPC and don't see any growbags in the SM that I shop at, as I don't really have anywhere that I can dig up topsoil - it's all full of plants. It'll be interesting to compare notes later in the season.
    Indeed. This will be an unusual summer for everybody and it will be very interesting to compare our experiences when it all ends. Keep safe, keep well.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    @Ivyhouse - I'll be doing something similar to @JennyJ, but I recently removed a strip of turf from the back grass, and I'll be using that in the tomato pots, topped up with a little compost if I can get any.
    Otherwise they'll be getting a shovelful of soil from somewhere in the garden, and consider themselves lucky.  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....