Forum home Problem solving

Hot composting, bokashi or wormery for kitchen waste

micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605
Our council has stopped collecting green waste. I am already composting garden waste in a cold composting heap. I'd like to compost our kitchen waste away from any rodent interest. I am trying to decide on one of these three systems.

Hot composting (say in a 'Dalek' style bin) versus Bokashi versus wormery. The advantage of the latter two is that they might be faster, as far as I can tell, are quite space efficient, and generate liquid feed. A downside of Bokashi is that the resulting product might still be of interest to rodents and that it requires continued addition of a 'bran' starter - an upside is that it should be odorless and can be done indoors. A downside of a wormery is perhaps that it requires more attention. I have a deep love for worms, this option seems quite attractive anyway. An upside of a Dalek-style bin is that it is quite certainly able to handle a large volume.

Feedback about any of the relative merits of these systems would be much appreciated.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    My two daleks stand on wooden boards laid on the soil and I've never had a problem with vermin.  The mini-beasts that do the converting have no difficulty finding their way in.  Another option is to cover the base with chicken wire, though if mice are the problem, it would need to be something finer.