Forum home Plants

Aldi plants

JohnnypJohnnyp MorayshirePosts: 61
Just back from my local Aldi (Elgin morayshire)and they have 20% off all plants ,shrubs,bedding etc 
Unfortunately the vast majority of them are bone dry and have obviously not been watered since they were delivered to the store ,they have beautiful rhododendron shrubs at £7.99 but are bone dry and nearly blowing about the car park in the strong wind . Such a shame but for many of the plants it might be to late ,so sad . 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,949
    I think the staff have more important things to be doing just now.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    There was a thread last year on Aldi and Lidl and their lack of care for plants. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I often see that Lidl's plants are the same. The bulbs are ok and the bare root stuff but they just don't water plants, covid or not. I think they're under staffed and don't have time. 
  • JohnnypJohnnyp MorayshirePosts: 61
    Two or  three watering cans of water over the top  them would only takes few minutes before the store opens , saying that it's their loss when they end up in the skip , it was  the same last spring , surely there is an amateurs   gardener among the staff who has a few minutes to water them .
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,981
    It's probably Elf and Sayftee who are responsible for non-watering.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,850
    I did wonder when the news was full of stories about plant growers having to bin thousands of plants how many were the same plants that get binned at the supermarkets after no one waters them. It's just cutting out the middle man really :#
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,446
    JennyJ said:
    I think the staff have more important things to be doing just now.
    Well said
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,446
    @Hexagon I agreed  with @JennyJ - I criticised no one. Interesting that you've chosen to snipe at me and not @JennyJ though. 

It isn't up to 'the staff' at the front end. I'm afraid it's not that simple, despite many people thinking that it is. 
    I have no intention of writing to the Aldi CEO either, but perhaps you could if you're so worried about it.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,908
    Has no one thought that Aldi may be struggling for staff for the same reason other businesses are struggling ... some staff are ill, some are self-isolating, and some are needed at home for childcare.  

If the managers have to prioritise tasks they're probably, quite reasonably, prioritising stocking shelves and selling food items, especially after the appalling behaviour of a large proportion of the public in the last couple of weeks.  

I love gardening and gardeners and dying plants sadden me,  but I'm afraid some  folk are displaying a bad case of tunnel vision.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BraidmanBraidman Posts: 206
    I was told once that plants are "sale or return", so it's not the supermarkets that lose out it the plant supplier.

I have just came back from Aldi's I stayed outside with the dog whilst my wife got what she wanted.

I looked at the plants on sale, Rhodo's and other shrubs were very dry, but 10 violas for £1.79 were too good to miss!
    A young female came out and started to wheel the buggy plants inside, she told me she had been on duty from 8.30 this morning to 8pm and she was looking forward to going home, but she was on again at 8am tomorrow.

She thanked me for saying she deserved here 10% bonus!