Forum home Wildlife gardening

Save the shrews (and wood mice)

BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
edited March 2020 in Wildlife gardening
So, we have a nasty rat in that hole by the pond. Hubby set two rat traps, but of course what have we caught? A shrew. I want to keep the little guys  :'(  They are good for the garden and the little owls in the field. He baited them with choccy and peanut butter. I didn't think shrews would be interested in that but I was wrong.

Any suggestions what to use as bait that will attract a rat but not a shrew, if that is possible. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Air rifle. We have shrews, voles, field mice. Unfortunately, and I really don't like doing it, a .22 is the most effective way to get rid of rats while protecting other wildlife. That and I changed how I compost so I don't attract rats so much. Not seen any for a good few years now. If you want to bait still, fish is supposed to be good, but I never once caught a rat in a trap. That is why in the end I bought the air rifle.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    edited March 2020
    Hubby has an air rifle but this beggar only appears at night  :(.

The compost doesn't seem to attract them now that I have a different system. 

We haven't managed to kill one in a trap either. Don't want to leave poison out, it's dangerous to other animals, expensive and I think they are resistant any way. Thinking of flooding its hole. Hubby on standby with the rifle. What a scene  :#. How to pass the time on lock down. 
  • We use humane mouse traps as sometimes we have field mice trying to build nests in the attic. We then bring them a mile or so away from our house and let them out in the fields where they hopefully will stay. 

Maybe if you use such a trap you can let out the shrew and mice and do what ever feels right with the rats?

If needed I can recommend a really good humane mice trap we bought on amazon as it works really great for us. 
    Surrey
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    BigBlueSky. Thanks - We have a humane one but not for rats. I don't think we want to have to kill it up close plus its illegal here to release them  :/