Forum home Tools and techniques

Help me rejuvenate my lawn!

Evening all. I’m looking for some advice on bringing my lawn back to life!

I’ll be honest, I’ve not looked after it that well! It’ll get a cut when it gets too long, but that’s about it.

The problem I have is that some areas have no grass, small area of moss, some areas where tall grass has been trodden down and the mower doesn’t cut which has resulted in bare patches beneath. Also, in the photos, the areas of dead grass were where the grass was the longest prior to last weeks cut.

Id like to know if I should just aerate? Or should I aerate and scarify? Or just scarify? Not sure where to start really. But I do know that I’ll need to overseed.

My goal is for a thicker, greener lawn. I’m not aiming for a putting surface, as I like to leave a bit of length on the grass. I have small dogs so need something with a bit of length.

Please help!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    Start by scarifying, rake off all the dead grass and moss. Then I would give it a feed. If you have  dog or children on it, I would not use weedkiller.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,707
    What @fidgetbones said. Then try to cut it little and often to keep it at your preferred length and encourage it to thicken up (cutting stimulates "tillering", ie forming new shoots from the base of each grass plant). Dog wee can cause dead patches too -  I think it's just girl dogs but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
  • MattDMattD Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info, really appreciate it!

Is the purpose of scarifying to break the surface of the soil, as well as removing dead matter?

Should I cut the lawn quite short before scarifying?

What type of feed should I use?

Is it worth aerating as well?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,707
    It looks short enough for scarifying. You don't need to scuff up the soil surface unless you're going to overseed. Spiking is hard work and only necessary if the soil is compacted. It won't hurt if you have the time and energy, but I'd only do any areas that need it. Use whatever lawn feed you like (or can get) but follow the dosage instructions carefully, and sprinkle it evenly, particularly if it's a feed-and-weed product. If in doubt use less not more. You can always do another treatment later. Ever year we see people on here who've overdone it and turned their lawns black.
  • MattDMattD Posts: 3
    I’m going to overseed so I’ll probably be spiking. Although, it’ll be with a fork...I fancy a workout! Gives me something to do on the weekend!