Forum home Wildlife gardening

Lockdown bird count for French residents

ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,628
edited March 2020 in Wildlife gardening
For anyone living in France at the mo and a bit stuck for occupation, the league for the protection of birds is urging people to do a bird count:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-invited-to-count-birds-for-Ligue-Protection-Oiseaux-LPO-during-confinement-period 

@Papi Jo @floralies @jaquimcmahon
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

• Sounds like a great idea...unfortunately I m not in France but would have gladly volunteered if I where :blush:
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,249
    Sounds ideal for any country to do this, would be novel to do a spring count end of April/May and ask for not just visitors but who has brought young too. 😁
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,628
    Something for @Dordogne Damsel and Charlie too perhaps.

The thing about the French is that they are still allowed, in some areas, to shoot and/or trap birds as well as losing many to loss of habitat, agricultural practices, house building and the challenges of seasonal migration and global warming so a bird count now should be informative.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
    Just had a look... like the idea. It’s been an interesting few weeks since the lockdown as I’m seeing birds and butterflies on my terrace that I don’t normally see here.
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,729
    Charlie is very interested, he's spotted a robin already!  B)
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin