Forum home Problem solving

Russian Black Tomatoes

hi I’m new to growing tomatoes from seed. See pictures these are now about 2 inch tall. When should I repot? Thanks for your advice. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,263
    Prick them out now, one each in a 7cm pot of compost.  The onion seedlings can stay a bit longer.  Hold the seed leaf , not the stem. If you bruise the stem , they will rot off and die.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 875
    I usually wait till they develop 2 true leaves before I prick out, but I'm not much of an expert.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/tomatoes
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,348
    Plant them nice and deep ... you can bury most of the stem ... it’ll grow roots and anchor the plant firmly. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• @Dovefromabove
    Thanks so it's ok to move now them? They are pretty crammed. Thanks
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,348
    Yes their first true leaves are appearing ... I’d prick out the ones which have those leaves first. 
    You can leave the less developed ones for a few days until they too have their first true leaves. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• @Dovefromabove
    Thank you - one of the jobs for today :)