Forum home The potting shed

Nurseries / Garden Centres doing local deliveries.

• EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 818
    Any local nurseries/garden shops around Oxford delivering compost? B&Q and Homebase do not seem to have any stock for click and collect. Thanks.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 887
    Hi @Eustace,

I'm not looking to pick an argument ....but I think that B&Q and Homebase are doing the right thing by not encouraging people to do a Click & Collect for compost. 
    I really can't think how compost is essential to any of us.

Stay safe all .... and stay at home.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    You're treading on dangerous ground @Bee witched   ;)

Some of us have been 'getting pelters' for daring to suggest that compost isn't essential and to avoid unnecessary journeys  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Hi @Fairygirl,

I'll live with a couple of 'pelters' ...
    I just don't get what part of "essential journeys only" people can't grasp D   

I'm off now to look at my bees .... always cheers me up ... they should be bringing pollen in image 

Bee x
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    @Bee witched -I could have done with that emoji [heid banging' one] the other day  ;)

Lots of love to the bees x :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KT53KT53 Posts: 6,441
    Hi @Eustace,

I'm not looking to pick an argument ....but I think that B&Q and Homebase are doing the right thing by not encouraging people to do a Click & Collect for compost. 
    I really can't think how compost is essential to any of us.

Stay safe all .... and stay at home.

Bee x

For some (many?) people gardening can be a great stress reliever, and mental health is equally as important as physical health.  Remember there are people who have been advised to self-isolate for up to 12 weeks and I for one would go crazy if I didn't have things to occupy me for that length of time.
    This topic is about nurseries and garden centres who are doing deliveries, not about making trips to B&Q.
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 818
    Thanks a lot for your kind replies. @KT53 has described my situation correctly. I have received help and guidance from another GW forumer. Thanks for your help; you know who you are :-)
    Hello Folks,

I recognise how therapeutic gardening is ....  but this is a national emergency .... couldn't anyone who runs out of compost not just use garden soil?
    Not ideal, I know, but we are being asked to only go out for food and medicine .... not to B&Q for click and collect bags of compost.
    Maybe I picked @Eustace up incorrectly in their 11:40 post, but he/she seemed to suggest that they would do this if the store had stock available. 

Anyway, I'll leave it there and we'll agree to differ on our understanding of essential journeys.

The bees are doing great @Fairygirl ... lots of pollen going in which is a sign the queen is alive and busy.  In these times of crisis we could learn a lot from social insects.   blush

Bee x

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,800
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 726
    Whereas I have to agree compost may not be regarded as essential I have to disagree that we should just make do with garden soil..... simply because my flat has nothing but a concrete floor so I could not use my “own soil” even if I wanted too. 😂 luckily for me we saw the shutdown coming and did a dash to get the soil I need for this years pots before the lockdown in France was imposed. I too am now sitting enjoying watching the 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝