Forum home Fruit & veg

Potting on dwarf fruit trees

REMF33REMF33 Posts: 112
I know I should have potted them on months ago. Would it be really foolish to do it now? I have a number of dwarf cherries and a plum which I bought last year and which are in 30cm pots. All are in bud and the plum is actually flowering. Would it be better (from the point of getting a few fruit) to leave them be now?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,656
    Do you have an able-bodied assistant? 

If you are both careful, don’t knock the branches or roots, and have everything set up and to hand ready to go before you start, you should be OK.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 112
    Thanks. They easily lift out of the pots. (I have one of them a little tug.) Will have a go.
    OK,
    if you have an assistant, get them to hold the de-potted tree up in the air (in its normal orientation) and then take a look at the roots.

If they are going round and round in circles inside the pot, gently tease them out until the outer ones are free floating and no longer going round in circles.

Then put the tree into a bigger pot (much bigger by the sound of it), being careful not to bury the graft (the lumpy bump at the bottom of the trunk), and then water it in well.

If the pot is big enough, put a stake into the pot as well and loosely tie the tree trunk to it with something soft like an old pair of tights or an elasticated bandage.

Thanks. I did two before reading this, and didn't do everything you said. I will let them get on with it for now, though I think. I didn't put them in much bigger pots either  as had googled RHS advice which said just up one size.
    They were small (3l pots, I think) bush cherries bought last year and put into 30cm pots on arrival.
    I still have at least one to do.
    Oh, they’re tiny.  I thought that they were a couple of years old and needing two people to support them.😊
    Like these

A couple of them were size B2.