Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato plant problem

hey guys just wanting to know what this yellowing on young leaves is they are 5 weeks old they where potted up 5 days ago they are in a peat mix compost with 4 weeks slow fertilizer I can't give you a ph of the soil I don't have the tool for it I live up the North East of England weather has not been brilliant but I don't think that is the problem any advice will be much appreciated 

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    The plants look healthy and at this stage the yellowing leaves don't look to be dying, I don't know the cause of this problem as it could be one of many but I see that transplant shock can sometimes cause this type of thing to happen, if that is the case the plant will recover.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,953
    It is very early to have Tomato plants that size, are they in a heated greenhouse.
    Also I think most people don't tend to feed Tomatoes until they set trusses.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • Craig.wrayCraig.wray Posts: 12
    Cheers Barry it did start happening 2 days after pot up light yellowing starting at the bottom of the leaf with near the tip a more darker green all gardners delight and sweet 1 million displaying the symptoms maybe a little stunting aswell 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,670
    Too early ( light levels), too cold and too much food is a good place to start.
    To punkdoc no it's a regular green house no heated appliances inside I have started them of eairly in fact way eairly they where getting out of hand on the window ledge and the fertilizer is inside the soil it says 4 weeks  I don't think that is the problem but I realy appreciate your input could herbicide drift be an issue?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,075
    One of my Gardeners' Delight was like that last year (the other three were normal, as were the other varieties). It was treated exactly the same as the others, and it flowered and fruited normally. The yellow new leaves darkened to green as they aged. At the time my guess was a random genetic variation, but I suppose that one plant could have got a cold draft at some point.
    Yes Jenny mayby  when am moving them out the greenhouse back into the house due to the cold winds and near minus on a night the cold is kissing them i am a beginner this will be my 2nd season 
    Well not waiting till it's dark before moving them back inside  around 7 o clock when the sun is just about to disappear I bring them all back inside
    pictures of all affected