Forum home Plants

Bamboo - Regrow to achieve new height

YandoYando Posts: 10
Hi,

Hope there are any Bamboo experts out there :wink:

I have two different types of bamboo in my garden, Fargesia robusta 'Campbell' and Fargesia red panda 'Jiu'.

I'm wondering is it possible to cut current canes that have reached their potential height and regrow new canes to achieve a higher height? Noticed a few of my canes have snapped in the wind, I guess their growth has ended now. 

Many thanks.
«1

Posts

  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    Yes - you can remove existing canes, and new ones should grow.
    However, the fargesias tend to be smaller anyway than the 'hellbent on world domination' ones, as they're clump forming. They may not get any bigger than what you already have there. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • YandoYando Posts: 10
    Fairygirl said:
    Yes - you can remove existing canes, and new ones should grow.
    However, the fargesias tend to be smaller anyway than the 'hellbent on world domination' ones, as they're clump forming. They may not get any bigger than what you already have there. 
    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes forgot to mention they are clumbing. 

    By any chance do you know how to remove the existing canes without damaging the roots? Just want to remove the smaller canes to fill in the gaps. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    Did you mean you wanted to plant the canes?

    Once you remove canes, they're just canes. You cut them off at the plant base.
    You would need to remove a chunk of plant with the roots attached if you want to propagate it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • YandoYando Posts: 10
    edited 31 March
    Fairygirl said:
    Did you mean you wanted to plant the canes?

    Once you remove canes, they're just canes. You cut them off at the plant base.
    You would need to remove a chunk of plant with the roots attached if you want to propagate it. 
    Mainly interested in removing the canes for regrowth first then might propagate in a later stage. 

    I guess its a big no to remove any canes now as new root growth has started. Do I need to wait until winter when its gone into dormant to start chopping ? :) 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    you can remove canes by cutting them off. Is that what you mean, or do you mean remove with a chunk of root too? 
    I'd say they look a bit dry in the raised bed. Ideally they like lots of water.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    Just cut the canes off at the base if you want to remove them then.
    @Hostafan1 is saying the same, but he's right - they need a lot of water to thrive, especially in that wee bed. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • YandoYando Posts: 10
    Hostafan1 said:
    you can remove canes by cutting them off. Is that what you mean, or do you mean remove with a chunk of root too? 
    I'd say they look a bit dry in the raised bed. Ideally they like lots of water.
    Only remove canes for now for regrowth. 

    Ah right thanks, I will keep up with the watering from today! Had a week of sun so might explain it looking dry. Only been established 2 years ago so hope they are doing ok :smile:
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    New growth should start soon, ( depending on your location ) 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,050
    You'll find that the root systems will be taking up a lot of room in that bed, so you'll need to ensure you add some more sustenance - not just bog standard compost, but a loam based one, or some garden soil if you have any. That will help retain some moisture too.
    Wind dries out the ground as well, so check the water situation in those conditions too. Ideally, you need to be in an area of regular rainfall if they're very confined like that, or have an irrigation system . 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Can you install a "seep hose"?
    Devon.
Sign In or Register to comment.