Forum home Fruit & veg

Beans planted too early?

I got some stringless bean seeds which said sow indoors in April. I thought it would be okay to plant last week but after just 6 days they’ve shot up so quickly! They’ll be like beanstalks in a few weeks, so shall I just bin them and start again next week?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,201
    I don't know where you are , but they can't go out until after the last frost. I sow mine indoors at the end of April, to go out at the end of May. I am in the Midlands, just North of the Trent.  If you are in Cornwall and is is a lot milder, then you can get away with planting out in early May.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • I’m in the north west by the coast, I only planted 6 so plenty left
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,997
    edited 31 March
    Have a look on this map to find your last frost date and start the next batch off inside 2-4 weeks before that date:
    You can use the ones you have already grown to gauge how long it takes for them to germinate and grow to the the maximum size you can keep indoors (about 8-10 inches IME) and then work backwards from the last frost date using that info. to know when to sow again.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    I have sown runner beans early indoors before but found no real advantage over sowing direct into the ground in May.
  • Ah thanks, the last frost is 11-20 April and they took just 5 days to germinate! So maybe try again in 2 weeks. I feel bad for them going in the bin ha ha 
    We have had frost in the South Midlands in May before now but it is usually short lived and if prepared fleece protects plants.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,703
    I sow mine 1st May plant out 1st June.  I never sow direct, the seeds disappear , probably mice. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,997
    They don't do well with cold winds and low temps anyway, so to be safe I do as many others do and sow on May 1st, planting out about 2 weeks later, depending on weather.  Runner beans were originally tropical plants so don't like low temps in general.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,807
    I would try hardening them during the day for a while, then put them in. If the frost gets them, oh well, if not, early beans! Better than the bin.
    The problem is the ground is still quite cold, they can get 6 to 8 inches tall before you have to plant them so if they don't get too much heat they may grow slow enough to last until the ground has warmed up enough.