Forum home Wildlife gardening

Fish gone

BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
edited March 2020 in Wildlife gardening
I have a small pond and two goldfish in it. They have disappeared overnight. 

I have also noticed a hole in the soil about 8 - 10 inches to the side of the pond. We suspected a rat so we set up the trail camera and there it was. Setting a trap tonight. But, I'm wondering, would a rat take the fish? I know they swim very well.

Also, we saw a Heron in the field just behind yesterday. Also possible culprit.
Never seen one in the garden or even on the fence though. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    sounds like the heron has punctured the liner in the quest for food.I lost over 30 one night to local otters
    Devon.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Hi Hostafan1, it's a preformed one. Could they still puncture that? There's no loss of water. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    I'd have gone with the heron too. 
    I'm not sure how well, or for how long,  a rat would swim underwater, and he'd have to do that to get the fish  I think?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    100% heron (sorry about your fish, but I just love herons ... my favourite bird ... and they've got families to feed too)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    It's just nature I suppose. We are very close to a nature reserve wetlands and we see a lot of them flying over. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    We're close to a similar nature reserve ... the house opposite us used to have koi carp in a pond close to the house but ten years ago they lost all the fish to a heron.  They replaced the pond with a flower bed, but every spring we still see the heron perched on their roof eyeing the spot where the pond used to be, just in case ... they're remarkable birds. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869
    I'd forget the fish and call it a wildlife pond. Far more interesting :) 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    nutcutlet said:
    I'd forget the fish and call it a wildlife pond. Far more interesting :) 
    Ditto. I'm much happier with my fish free pond. Toads, newts, all sort of critters in there too.
    Devon.