Forum home Wildlife gardening

Anyone have any idea whose poo this belongs to?

Moved into my new house about 6 months ago - not very wildlife friendly, all lawn and not much else. Am slowly trying to make it more wildlife friendly and currently in the middle of my big coronavirus project of digging a wildlife pond which has turned out SLIGHTLY bigger than I initially planned!!

Anyway I digress. I've been leaving out hedgehog food every night and something is eating it and leaving this kind of poo nearby. Does anyone recognise it? Is it hedgehog or am I in fact feeding Ratty?!

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    Looks like Hedgehog  B)
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,994
    I agree 🦔
  • Hurray!!!!! I'm really chuffed as I've got cement gravel boards all the way around (as have most of the neighbouring gardens) except for one fence panel which has slightly come away and one where I managed to install a wooden hedgehog tunnel into the fence panel itself but had felt that that was probably a pointless waste! If it does turn out to be hedgehog it has made my day!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    Me three.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    It’s quite surprising how they find a way in. Such a buzz to have them about. They love a drink as well as food so be good to put a shallow bowl of water out. If you get trouble from cats or foxes then you can build a feeding station with a simple plastic box. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,626
    If you use hedgehog dry food you can tell as when they eat they leave crumbs, nothing else seems to. 😁
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,128
    🦔 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,994
    I put dog food out at 7pm, looked out at 8.30 and the whole lot has been scoffed. Just been debating whether to put more out, but there is a dish of dry food there as well.
    Makes my day when l see that empty dish.
    Thank for making that hedgehog highway @gilla.walmsley 🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔
  • Ooh is that definitely eaten by a hedgehog at that time of day @AnniD? Or some other critter getting in there first? I had wondered if the magpies were eating mine initially - they'll eat anything! Am so pleased to think it probably is a Hoggie now. I need to invest in a wildlife camera!
  • And yes Dave, I put water out there tonight too!