Forum home Tools and techniques

Small Rotavator

2»

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 6,428
    edited March 2020
    I've got a Mantis. It's hopeless here - far too many stones in the ground. It just stops every few minutes when another stone gets stuck.
    I think if you have light sandy soil it's easy enough to dig it over yourself. And if you don't have light sandy soil, a small rotavator probably won't cut it.

Hire a big one in when this present situation is over or dig it with a spade/fork a little at a time.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 7,712
    We do have fairly light soil but I wouldn't be able to dig it over myself due to hip and knee problems.  It does a really good job on that kind of soil but agree it may have problems with heavy or stony ground.
  • Thanks everyone for your fantastic contributions! I have ordered a machine and my son is here with me in lock down, so I think I may be asking for some help from him. I'll 
    let you know how we get on. My garden is large, new to me and frankly a massive project! It's all a bit overwhelming at the moment even though I am an experienced gardener.  I was hoping to get help this Spring to get it started but I reckon planting will have to wait until Autumn now.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286
    Exciting times with a new garden Cathie. I must admit, I'm rather enjoying the benefit of having my son at home too. He usually works and socializes 24/7, he's been exemplary at sticking to the rules during lock-down. Amazing how much it helps when it comes to getting the  gardening done.  :)
  • GemmaJF said:
    Exciting times with a new garden Cathie. I must admit, I'm rather enjoying the benefit of having my son at home too. He usually works and socializes 24/7, he's been exemplary at sticking to the rules during lock-down. Amazing how much it helps when it comes to getting the  gardening done.  :)
    If only!