Forum home Wildlife gardening

Time on our hands = ?

Garage cleared + old fat ball feeder found + lawn scarified = new nesting material for the blue tits  :)

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,703
    @sue & Mutton Magnifico!

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204
    Aw, bless her little cotton socks.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 563
    edited March 2020
    What a great idea @sue &Mutton
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,582
    👍😍
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Excellent idea, makes me wish I still had a lawn to scarify!  :D Not letting that stop me though and will find other suitable natural materials to use and stuff them in an old fat-ball feeeder I have lying around - pic later! :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,409
    Lovely photo.
    I've made cushions for the breakfast room chairs, the garden is very weeded, fence repaired, OH has painted the shed and I'm going to paint the guest room.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Yes lots of time to do those little jobs. I've potted on a lot of cuttings etc. Hubby is working from home and the disruption to my routine has taken some getting used to, he's done a lot of outside work too, pressure washed the terrace etc. 
    I just wish it was a little warmer. 

Found another hole in my garden and I will be setting up the trail camera there tonight. 

• WeaveyDaveyWeaveyDavey Posts: 575
    Following @Sue & Mutton 's brilliant repurposing of lawn moss post scarification; I made similar 'home decor' available for blue tits, sparrows et al in my modest domain. The moss, twigs, leaves etc derived from a donated (last year's) hanging basket contents dried all Autumn & Winter ready for Spring / Summer plantings. The whole caboodle was crudely 'riddled through a wire paper basket (retained from PCNPA duties when I retired 8+ years ago) & still going strong [via additional application of a certain primate's* sticky tape where it was weakened through over pressure]. [ * other humanoids are descended from it, I believe...??]. **pics soon - it was VERY dark when I installed it on my Runner Bean frame!!]. Stay safe folks.
  • I know this is a terribly worrying time for everyone but isn't it lovely, just for a while to stop ..... and smell the roses as they say. I've realised how my garden had been something you had to get done on an odd day off between washing and food shopping etc etc etc and it was becoming harder and harder and less enjoyable. Now in 12 weeks solitary (well, except for my poor husband - who I'm preparing lists for) I've had a chance to look out the window, plan, pot ...and breathe. My heart goes out to the sick, bereaved and those who haven't got access to any sort of outside space. As I look out the window Mr and Mrs blue tit are still flying back and forth to the bird box with an urgency that reminds me of the rush to get to Tesco's before getting home from work and landing a meal on the table. I think I'll just have another cup of tea, peruse my Gardeners' World magazine again and well, maybe, edit my borders a bit ....or maybe not....  :)  
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 258
    We've 2 bags of scarrified moss at the side of our bungalow but alas our local green bin collections have been stopped so with 3 empty bird feeders , as we've run out of feed/fatballs I will do as you have Sue .thanks  great idea !