Forum home Problem solving

Flowering crab apple - growing unevenly

Hi

I planted a flowering crab apple tree about 5 years ago now.

It was the first plant I bought for my first home so was a basic £10 job from Wilkos.

Its grown slowly but gradually establishing. The only thing is it is growing somewhat lobsided.

The side seeing all the growth is south facing but the tree as a whole will Ben getting plenty of sun.

Can anyone advise what is causing this and what can be done (pruning, feeding etc) to help resolve?

Many thanks

Jon

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited March 2020
    A couple of ways I can think of:
    Prune it harder on the weaker side next winter.  Somewhat perversely, the harder you prune, the more vigorous the new growth.  You could also summer-prune the stronger side as pruning in the summer restricts growth.
    You could put in a stake or two and tie some of the leaning branches so they are pulled back in the direction you want.  After a couple of years, the wood will stay put.
    Or a combination of the above.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • A couple of ways I can think of:
    Prune it harder on the weaker side next winter.  Somewhat perversely, the harder you prune, the more vigorous the new growth.  You could also summer-prune the stronger side as pruning in the summer restricts growth.
    You could put in a stake or two and tie some of the leaning branches so they are pulled back in the direction you want.  After a couple of years, the wood will stay put.
    Or a combination of the above.
    I planted a crabapple tree a week ago. I do water it every day and it's in a well drained spot in my yard. But today I noticed that the leaves are drying out. Help pls
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    edited April 2020
    Hello @plantifulansoul and welcome to the forum 😊 we need some more information  ... how much water are you giving it each time?  How big is your tree?  How did you prepare the planting site?
    can you show us a picture please. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh