Forum home Problem solving

Rambling Rose Pruning Tips?

Hi All,

I have 2 lovely established rambling roses we inherited with the house, however would like to ask if you have any tips or suggestions on how to prune these please?
Is this an ok time to prune? I’ve watched a few videos saying to cut out old wood but I’m not sure what to keep & what to loose? Attached is a pic! Thank you x

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    edited March 2020
    Ramblers should be pruned immediately after flowering, as the flower on wood that was produced in the previous year. 

Climbers should be pruned in early spring as they flower on newly grown wood. 

Do you know the name of your rose?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ah ok thank you. I don’t know the names of them unfortunately, as they were already in situ when we moved in. The large one has smaller white flowers and flowers pretty much all summer. The other one, I think might be an old variety as it tends to flower once or twice only. They are a large peach colour xx
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    If you show us some photos when the flower someone might be able to ID them for you ... @Marlorena is very knowledgeable, as are some of the others. I can recognise a few 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you - I’m going to see if I can hunt down some photos xx